General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Gentlemen - Two Hundred Thousand (200,000 mile) E90

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Made it with room to spare...

Thanks guys. If you read some of my posts you can get the whole story, but to just put it together...

The car is a 2006 325i with a manual trans. I ordered it in April 2006 with just the Sport Package, HIDs, and BlueTooth (BMW assist) and it was delivered mid-May 2006. I like a basic car that drives well and don't need all the luxury crap.

I hit a deer at 12,500 miles and had $4,500 of crash damage. I swapped to non-runflats on a non-staggered 8.5 x 18 wheel set up using high-performance all-season radials at 22,000 miles. At about 80,000 miles the A/C pump died (I attribute it to poor craftsmanship from the deer crash repair where I think they left the system open too long or allowed dirt to get in the system). The T-stat went at 135,000 miles and the waterpump at 150,000. I'm on my 7th set of tires - including the original set from the factory. The driver's seat foam wore out and the torso cover started to rip so I had the seat rebuilt with OEM parts at 167,000 about a year ago.

I replaced the suspension with OEM BMW sport suspension parts at 182,000 when the kit went on sale a few years ago (I stored the parts kit for a few years), and had the alignment checked and re-set. I replaced the thrust arms at that time with M3 parts (the front was starting to shutter upon braking). I did brakes at 75,000 and again at 185,000 miles.

All the other maintenance has been at BMW specified intervals and CBS intervals; i.e. plugs, trans, diff and coolant every 100,000 (I did mine around 75,000 just becuase that's when I had time for a full day of maintenance time). My OCI has averaged about 17,500 miles and my total inception-to-date MPG has been 27. I've kept records of every gas fillup. I always fill the tank full and usually at the same gas station (Shell) and pump.

My total cost of ownership to-date has been $76,500 (purchase, loan cost, fuel, and maintenance). Lastly, I should say that I have my own auto shop at home complete with a lift and air tools (just as a hobby), so I do almost all my own maintenance and repairs. I had a dealer repair the A/C since the car was not that old when it died and I didn't trust an independent to work on a fairly new E90. I didn't trust myself to do it since the A/C compressor is almost $1,000 and if you don't load it correctly with oil and Freon you can blow the pump right off the bat.

I have to say I just love this car, I drive it 160 miles a day round trip to work. I don't drive it much on the weekends. My commute is ideal; it's 40% back roads that I hammer all the time and 60% interstate (stop and go) and dual lane (easy cruising). The last 3 miles to my house is basically a race track with no traffic and the car usually is burning hot when I park it at night.

I have never intended to sell it. I use my cars up and replace them with new ones.

My last BMW was a 1989 E30 that I took to 250,000.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4