02-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Am thinking about going to the MIR dragstrip on 8 Mar if possible. Would be nice to see what the old D will actually do. Hopefully the LSD and other stuff is installed by then, and maybe I might even spring for a JBD before then. That way I could do a no tune run and all variations up to 100%. It's supposed to be $100 per day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
i may have to join you for that, sir. I saw mention of it on the other forum. we could likely get chris to join us as well. would you be running slicks? one of us should invest in some so we can perform runs d on d.
March might still be to cold. Late April early May when track temps heat up a bit and while atmospheric temps are still cool w/low humidty might yield better results esp if you plan to use performance tires - the rubber gets hard in the cold and will prove to be more difficult to get traction. There are usually several track events throughout the year.

I took the d to MIR last year, went light - 1/8 tank of fuel, rear seat removed and all I did was spin out in the box. For the life of me I could not get traction on my street tires - granted my tires are Conti DWS - PSS or PS2's would be better, but I would still expect lots of wheel spin.

Sadly my best time came when I had traction control on, and no brake boosting, in other words just mashed the peddle and ran a 13.7. I ran the car at least 5 times, even tried lowering RPM's to 1700 and feathering the throttle out of the box, but as soon as I mashed the peddle once I got moving,,, tire SPIN - it was futile. The track surface at the start and through the first 10/15 yds or so is slick and more condusive to sticky DR's.

My car is a totally different animal on the street w/street tires - best run from a dig was against an S63 AMG no traction nannies and brake boost to about 2100 RPM the d was ahead 1 and 1/4 cars up until we shut it down at 100 mph - the d spun a bit but shot out like a bat.

While it was fun it was also frustrating at the same time. If I go back it will only be with drag radials or a min an ultra high performance summer tire.
Appreciate 0