View Single Post
      03-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #16
335dbc
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryantaz View Post
I just installed one in my non idrive 2008 e90. I purchased the 4G/64G from aliexpress seller kanor. I also bought an e70 unit from kanor and they were good to work with. I also got a discount for buying the second one.

The 4G/64G has the black frame instead of silver and also supposedly has a better more anti-glare screen.

Attachment 2218593

It isn't too bad of an install and it works well. I did have to run an aux cable to to the armrest aux input for audio. I actually spliced into it and added a female 3.5mm jack to the wiring so that I could still use the normal aux input for other things if I need to.

I also changed the wiring to pass the middle speaker through the unit instead of using the cheap external speaker. I copied how they did it for the same unit on my e70. For some reason the NAV audio seems to only come on when connected to AUX where on the e70 it will play over the top of the radio. I thought that connecting through the unit would enable that but it doesn't seem to for some reason. It may be a software setting or something. I will look into it a bit more and if I get it fully working I can add the details on how to wire it. It currently plays out of the center just fine with the change but it probably would have anyway so I don't see an advantage yet.

I am not currently using the center idrive style controller with it. I am not sure that it really adds any advantage given that most things I do require a touchscreen and the dial feels cheaper than the BMW ones and it also takes away the center junk tray that I often set my phone in. I recommend using the factory hands free bluetooth if you have it instead of the android because the factory one has a better microphone.

I also had to jam a piece of fuel line between the dash mount clip and the dash to keep it tight. Before that there was a small gap. The rubber line between the clips on each side (smaller sized line on the driver side) works great because the rubber has some flex and give to get it just as tight as it needs to be.

As a tip I spent a lot of extra time on the install because i cut the hole slightly smaller than the template which was a waste of time. I ended up slowly enlarging it until it basically just matched the template anyway and it took a lot longer.

Use cut back the dash top layer with a utility knife and then used an oscillating saw to cut through the plastic which worked very well.

HF oscillating saw:

I then just touched up the edges with the utility knife.

I also installed an aliexpress $60 front/rear DVR at the same time which works well but I had to use fisheye cameras when mounting in the license plate lights or I just got a recording of the ground....

-Rich
What do you mean by you changed the wiring to pass the middle speaker ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0