View Single Post
      03-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #210
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
The whole point here is, the stock ignition curve is too aggressive for increased boost. Ask BMW why they dropped the targeted curve 4 degrees across the board on the 335is in "overboost" mode.

It is nice that the stock ignition curve is set so aggressively from the factory though in that there are gains to be realized with meth and/or race gas on increased boost without altering the ignition tables directly (JB, for example).
It was my understanding that the tables were for max ignition advance and the ECU would attempt to hit those values, but might not depending on octane, temp, etc. And like others have stated it will not exceed those, even with race gas. So instead of thinking of those tables as absolutes like an open loop map, you have to think of them as caps. I know you guys will burn me at the stake, but I'm thinking BMW left some timing (power) on the table on the stock max ignition advance. Otherwise you could fill a stock car with race gas and beat up on more expensive product lines. Same with the iS. Max advance (cap) is 3 degrees less. Is this for safety? Or so the 335iS doesn't beat up on its big brother M3? Just playing devil's advocate here.
Appreciate 0