Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i
I feel your pain. FL is full of old farts that should no way be driving. Gun control? We need old fart driving control. I know people they've killed, young people on mopeds that went to HS with me. ran them down didn't see them. I literally get behind old folks every day going to work. 55mph zone, clear day, they're doing 24mph. At some point, you gotta say it's over no matter what, F'k it I'm taking them out too.
I agree completely.

Two years ago my wife and I were waiting to make a left turn at a light. We had a solid green and there was an Acura MDX coming towards us preventing us from turning. As the MDX crossed the intersection, an old lady in a minivan ran the red light at what seemed like 60 - 70 mph, T-boned the MDX, and sent it spinning into our car. The poor lady driving the MDX ended up in the passenger seat (don't think she was wearing a seatbelt). The minivan continued straight and ended up hitting a utility pole. Our car ('08 Accord coupe) had over 10k in damage. Luckily we escaped with only minor injuries. Old lady gets out of the van and says "what just happened?". I wanted to strangle her to prevent her from nearly killing anyone else.

The problem here in Florida is that they don't require periodic retesting of elderly drivers like some other states do. I believe they renew their license every 8 or 10 years just like the rest of the population and they never have to be retested unless they get into a wreck (when it may already be too late). This is compounded by the large percentage of drivers being elderly. This needs to be changed before too many more innocent people are killed.
Appreciate 0