View Single Post
      03-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #30
Animalfreeride
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i MSport Coupe

Guys,

I am not normally one for sending letters, but this latest idiotic proposal from the goverment has prompted me to write to my MP. It has infuriated me as it is simply going to penalise us all.

Unless we speak up, the goverment are sure to implement this. In short this could see an end to the enjoyment of driving on rural roads. I have added a link at the bottom and suggest we really need to spread the message before it's too late.

"Dear Colin Breed MP,

I write to you regarding the government's latest proposal to reduce rural speed restrictions.
I have read the recent reports in the media and this proposal has prompted me to contact you.
Firstly, I would like to point out that I fully support effective measures that improve road safety. However, I do not subscribe to the views of certain politicians who believe the lowering of rural speed limits will result in the reduction of serious road traffic collisions. Moreover, this could increase tensions on our roads or reduce concentration of motorists leading to complacency which in turn will lower their standard of driving.
Whilst I accept that in some instances excess speed is a contributing factor, I feel the main cause of serious road traffic collisions is attributable to driver error/negligence. In other words the lowering of current speed restrictions on our rural roads will not deter those who choose to drive in a dangerous or inappropriate manner.
The government should focus more on targeting irresponsible motorists instead penalising the majority of law abiding and competent drivers who will be unnecessarily impeded by this unfair proposal.
I would appreciate if you could convey my views, which I’m sure others will share, to the minsters behind these proposals.

Yours Sincerely,

(AN ANGRY LAW ABIDING MOTORIST!)"

http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm
Appreciate 0