View Single Post
      01-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #29
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I dirve a 335i with 6spd MT and Dinan software daily. And I have driven the 335d, briefly.

I would seriously consider a 335d as my next in a heartbeat. Or a 535d (maybe a 535d xDrive Sportwagon for a family/roadtrip/ski car?). IF I did more highway driving. That is the key....no technology today beatd Diesel on the highway. The Autobahns are ruled by large, diesel sedans. But I drive about 18,000 km (12,000 miles) a year. Not enough milage to make up the diesel premium. And the 335d wasn't available when I bought mine.

As for transmission...the autos are beefier that the manuals, able to handle more torque. Dinan sites the manual transmission torque ratings as one of the main limiting factors in how much you can tune the n54 engine. Diesel engines put out TONS of torque at low rpms. Realy low (think 4,000 redlines). The auto transmission can be geared and reprogrammed to mask the diesel's lack of high-rpm and abundance of low.

And excess torque of the diesel is perfect for larger vehicles.....like a x5. That is why almost all big-assed pickups run diesel engines.
Appreciate 0