View Single Post
      03-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
elephantine
Rep
Drives: 2005 e90 330d

hmm seems a bit less info on 330ds on here so far... I have a e90 330d and I have similar oil deposits on the cables under the inlet 'fold. I unbolted the inlet recently to change all 6 glow plugs, and I have to say I found a little of what i think is diesel leaking through the swirl flaps off the manifold and onto the cables... this is a well documented prob if you search the issue on e46 330d's... they have improved swirl flap design but they still leak diesel and there is still a general recommendaiton to remove swirl flaps and fit blanking plugs - again e46 330d advice... there is a small opinion on forums that doing this affects throttle response, I cant comment yet as I left my swirl flaps in for now (I am on 112k miles, so only just breaking in :-D ).

This isnt to say it isnt a gasket leak mind you, there are individual orange coloured gaskets for each intake branch on the inlet, and one of mine seemed to have a little oil residue round the outside and looked a little swollen... thinik they are cheap to replace so best to do them if you are running higher mileage like mine :-)

When i did the glow plug change I cleaned as best i could, but stilll have similar oily deposits as in your pics... If I get time I will go back and clean properly :-D (mine is a daily driver so time a bit limited...)
Appreciate 0