12-01-2017, 03:40 AM   #18
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Sorry, late to the party but when i last claimed on insurance (admittedly over 20 years ago) i sent copies of similar cars from autotrader. It was as 1987 E30 325i with only 40k (this was 1994) on the clock in black. It was a stunning car. And i paid a lot over the book price for it. But i got more than i paid for it back because i showed the insurance company that it wasn't bog standard easily available car. Worth a try in future. Not saying that it will work these days.

Sorry to hear about your loss Vish. Hope the Z experience is a good one.
Hi mate,

Thanks for the input, seems you did very well!

Sadly the insurance companies are not regulated to use evidence of current market listings, as explained by the financial ombudsman service on their website.

They are only considered with cars that are rare (limited production runs) or classics.

Annoyingly, at the time of the theft, there wasn't a single stock replacemnet on any of the top 4 common sites (Auto Trader, eBay, GumTree, Piston Heads). So it in my opinion was rare as it was irreplaceable and still is at this time. (One that was an M Sport, Grey, red leather, xenons, manual, less than 70K miles. #And that's not taking into account the 1M wheels, carbon performance spoiler, privacy glass, i-drive and pro nav, brand new HPFP and ABS/DSC Pump).

The glass guide is all they were interesting. Which is a pure joke because the Glass guide says the car in mint condition with FSH should be asking for £93xx on a used car sales forecourt.

When in realism, there were lower spec cars on BMW UK for £15K, and lower spec cars with the same age/mileage/sh on Auto Trader around £13K.

I said who on earth can haggle nearly £4k/30% off a used car, its an utter joke.

They do not provide market value or anything near it, but rather Glass value.

The other annoying thing is us members of the public are not privy to these valuations, and instead have to take the insurance's word as gospel.

It's all very shady in my opinion.

Car history highlights: EP2 Civic, E92 335i M Sport, E92 325D M Sport - Stage 1, Mk5 Golf GTI - Stage 2+, E46 M3 6MT, E82 135i M Sport 6MT, Nissan 350z - Stage 3, Audi S3 - Stage 1 DSG, M135i Auto.
Appreciate 0