01-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #1730
tony176000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybeast3 View Post
I wasn't saying "just change your oil vis and forget about it". I was saying, if you don't want to deal with fixing it because you don't worry about the car that much or for whatever reason, then maybe just a different oil vis would help enough to not be reminded about it as much.. I doubt it will make much difference. Especially at temp.

I wonder too if the 6MT has less of this because I think it probably has a lot to do with sustained higher RPM's "filling" the HVL (on long trips). 6MT's would no doubt see higher revs as every AT I've driven puts you in a lower gear ASAP, and lower than if it were a MT and I was driving... I just started our 30K mile 6MT at 10 degrees, after sitting for a day. It was quiet. I think the high revs it sees may have something to do with it.

PS, Tony, you don't like youngsters or surgeons. Anyone you do like? Let me guess. Firefighters. ; )

Ya, I am agreeing with your oil points. I was just saying that some people (that's not an accusation) like to hook onto the oil bandwagon and claim that OCI are responsible for everything from engine wear and tear to Virgin Mary sitings across the globe.
BMW does use rather long OCIs, and with this issue the possible bad outcomes could be worse considering it is an oil-related issue. I think BMW already recommends a pretty thin oil as is (5-30, 0-30?, synthetic).

I never said or even implied I don't like surgeons (the guy called himself obessesed), or "youngsters" (yikes, who uses that word these days). In fact, from this forum, I have established that I don't like a single demographic, defined as anyone under the age of 25 who has expensive toys thay they did not themselves earn and pay for, or, rich snot-nosed brats. Firefighters, sure. Flamethrowers...sometimes!

UPDATE:
Picked up the 328 after 4.5 days of work to replace the HVLs. SA stated that there is some ticking to be expected for a few hundred miles after this procedure. If this doesn't work, its the head replacement. He said that the HVL replacement procedure seems to work on 90% of the cases he has seen. Although I would like to believe this, I am not certain. SO FAR, no ticking, but a sort of duller thumping sound at start up. I don't know what that is or means. It is slower than the tick, but regular with the speed of the motor. It is definietely NOT doing the tick we are all talking about though. Time will tell. Warranty up on April 11th, so I have 2.5 months to see if this works...
Appreciate 0