06-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #93
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
True but only 70k mi under me? A lot can happen in 70k mi especially when then end of that 70k is 200k. Also, my 200k mi were not "nice" miles. This car sees redline mutiple times a day and I pretty much drive it every day. Also, I still track it.

There's an article in the N54 section that shows how an N54 was wearing after just 50k miles. The cylinder walls were scored the pistons had blow by past all three rings, the crankshaft was scored, and more. I'm willing to bet my 200k mi N52 looks like that 50k mi N54.
Force induced will cause faster wear, you cant compare how both cars wear on the inside because the combustion or production of power is not nearly the same. You can only push n/a 3 series so hard and frankly theres not much to push?

Scoring and visual wear doesnt mean much if the car performs, internal wear are just signs of how the car has been driven not its durability or ability.

Like i said at my mileage I've had 0 issues only 1 for which I paid out of pocket that werent wear and tear. So you take the wastegate rattle, the hpfp and the carbon build up that causes injectors and what other general complains are there about n54s? Not really much, n54 engines are nothing but boosted n54s with upgraded internals. Not to mention that all of the above have already been addressed. You all can tell me you love your 325/328/330 but ultimately it is inferior then the 335 in many aspects. Not to knock on them as they are great GREAT cars and they have proven to be reliable but it is absurd to say n54s are any less durable or of lesser quality because the components that make it force induced have come defective. Tell me you rather have your 330 etc over a 335 all you want but truth is if you could you would have those extra ponies under your hood.
Appreciate 0