View Single Post
      08-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #15
speedball73
Rep
Drives: 325i Silver (2006)

Ok, well I may have eliminated some possibilities and perhaps found the source of my problem. I've attached a few photos here, not sure how to embed them in the post.

1) I found the ground wires in the engine bay - on the passenger side, just near the front right corner of the engine bay, is a hex post that attaches a little plastic "briefcase" with several brown wires entering it. I pried open the briefcase (its sealed at the bottom with some black gooey substance), and everything in there looked good, if a little dusty. I did a quick continuity check from all the internal connection points to the external point where the post connects, and it was all good.

2) I stumbled across another forum post where somebody mentioned corrosion and poor connection where the "positive battery cable" that runs from the BST to the Starter/Alternator exits the battery compartment and runs outside the vehicle. Since I struck out on the fuse box/B+ battery cable I decided to give it a try.

I removed the rear power distribution box, the battery, and then set to work disconnecting the "positive battery cable" (big red one) and DME/Valvetronics power cable (little red one that has a snap in connector on the other side that connects to the rear power distribution box).

The first sign that I might be on to something was when I removed the smaller positive cable that goes to the DME and Valvetronics - the nut holding it on was corroded and the metal connector had a little corrosion. Then I removed the rear passenger wheel and the rear part of the fender liner, and exposed the external connectors for those two power cables. The "positive battery cable" connector looked ok, but the DME/Valvetronic connector was broken in several places and the inside severely corroded.

I'm not sure how to even replace that connector - the only part I can find is this one: 61129125036 , which is the entire 2-wire external wiring harness that runs from the battery compartment to the engine bay - that seems like a painful one to replace.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0