View Single Post
      07-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
conceptbass03
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I did my rear differential by myself in my personal garage at 50k. I used rhino ramps and a floor jack and it was pretty easy, however it is much easier if you have another person and car handy. The fluid was hardly tainted and it just gave me a better peace of mind. I tried to do the tranny fluid by myself using rhino ramps but it was still too tight of a clearance for me to feel comfortable. I ended up taking it to a local shop and when they saw that I showed up with the oem fluid and extra drain and fill plugs, they knew I did my homework so I helped them do it. They only charged me $40 for an hour and a half to fully drain and refill the transmission. My ATF at 50K was also slightly discolored but it still probably had another 50K miles left in it. Afterward it did shift smoother so I feel pretty good about it. Overall both fluid changes set me back around $160 total cost including shop fees. If you are going to keep it for a long time I suggest doing it at or before 50K. Turkeybaster and a few other great guys on the forum also have some great additional pics.

Last edited by conceptbass03; 07-22-2010 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Appreciate 0