View Single Post
      09-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #46
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetfoot View Post
I've used my 107,000 mile e92 328i for my first two HPDEs. The first outing I was running 3 year old AS/3+ tires that had felt a bit spooky ever since I overhauled the suspension with Bilstein B8s, M3 control arms, and poly RSFB. For my second HPDE I installed fresh PS4S tires, and then the chassis felt very smooth and predictable.

I've been wondering how the E90 driving experience on the track compares to alternatives like the BRZ or Miata?

I'm also curious to see how the N52 holds up to track abuse. I did a LOT of maintenance work between 80,000-100,000 miles, so the car is in great shape right now. Would the OFH and VC gaskets go bad any faster with track time? I had my original gaskets replaced at 85,000 and then surprisingly again 2 years later at 105,000 when I noticed them leaking again at my first HPDE. The only major maintenance I haven't done yet are the coolant pump, oil pan gasket, and upper transmission seal. I'm hoping I can leave those alone...
No BRZ or Miata can keep up with my E90, and my is xDrive (it is a ski vehicle in winter).
You really, really want oil cooler as that will prolong your OFHG lifespan. Again, I run mine at 5,000ft altitude. Altitude is the biggest cooling issue, far more than ambient temperature. At 102 degrees and this altitude, my oil temperature was 125c, although I was on track for an hour. Your gaskets are going to appreciate that!
Also, think about set of tires that you just use on the track. Anything happens to those tires, you have your street set. I found Yokohama Advan Apax V601 225/45 R17 for $116 in Discount Tire. Excellent max performance tire. Cheap!
Appreciate 1
fleetfoot120.00