01-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
A mustang can be faster than a 335. So a "lesser" car smokes it. I mean if you're going to beat yourself up about losing to a faster car that's lesser than yours than just go buy an American muscle car so you can finally beat those ricers. I'm not trying to be a dick I just don't get why people buy the lowest powered e90, and complain that it isn't fast.

You can't make them fast that's the reality.
What I find amusing it the magazine bench racers that like quote 0 - 60 times, either a magazine test number or manufacturer's spec. The manual trans N52 E90 is a 6.1 sec to 60 MPH as tested by Car and Driver (2006 test). Is that slow? Compared to what, why?

Test numbers are made by professional drivers expert at attaining the best numbers from a car with no concern of damaging it. Us mortal drivers are probably seconds behind the 0 - 60 times and almost minutes behind in lap times. To me "fast" is relative as much as buying loudspeakers (buy what sounds best to you) IMO. The N52 is plenty fast for street applications to provide a spirited driving experience and able to get your license donated back to the State.

It's also relative to the era which you grew up in. I started driving after the Arab oil embargos of 1973 and 1976, which along with EPA emission regulations killed off the big engine high horsepower cars of the late 1960's (which are mostly slower than a E90 325i now anyway) and left small and slow 4 cylinder foreign cars and slow 4 cylinder and V6 American cars for us to drive. If memory serves, all were no better than 9 or 10 seconds 0 - 60.

It looks like the Electrics in the future will be damned quick cars once they become mainstream and manufacturers add launch modes to them, making a 2018 335i slow in comparison.

Then we'll get autonomous cars and fast will be what the Government wants it to be.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50