02-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #15
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
I’d be wary of 3D printing this part, mostly with the stresses applied and difficulty to access/replace. Not saying it can’t be done - If I were doing it, I’d print it in nylon or something reinforced and be careful about the orientation of the part.

You might try using a flat or corrugated metal piece with some roughness for the plastic to grip to. I’m guessing it broke at the repair and the pin pulled out
I haven't checked it out yet but I'm positive that the pin must of slid out of one of the sides, I think what i'll do is use a screw and heat it up so that the plastic can melt in-between the ripples and in that case it should technically hold a better grip... I probably won't get to it till it starts heating up outside though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
Perhaps something like this: hot staple tool

Using a "hot staple" to bridge the fracture, but attach to either side securely. Might be able to do this as simple as a paper clip in each direction? I don't think your idea was fundamentally wrong for the repair.

Another thing is to reinforce with a strong, slow setting epoxy or something like JB weld. You might need to file afterward if it adds too much bulk
Thanks for your input and knowledge! It is very appreciated, I could do it that way, I've added JB weld to the original fixture that I had done but that must of cracked open as well.. I'll definitely post back once I attempt this repair again. I do not want to spend 1000$ on a new unit so I will try to repair this as many times as I have to until I can no longer fix it...