View Single Post
      03-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #72
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Thanks for the DIY and for everyone else's tips. I finally got around to doing this at 119k km (74k mi) as preventative maintenance. Despite the low mileage, shifting is noticeably smoother with the new fluid.

I drained 3.5L from the drain hole and another 1.5L when removing the pan and filter (5L total). I didn't follow the proper fill instructions and the pan was only 15C when I refilled ~5.7L (6 qt) of fluid before it began to drip out of the fill hole. I might have to revisit and see if I can get more fluid in when it warms up, but it feels strange to refill more than I drained.

I have AFE midpipes so my exhaust bracket was removed. I used a 17mm ratcheting wrench to loosen the fill plug as there wasn't enough clearance for my socket wrench.

My factory fluid was a greyish pink. The magnet had a lot of metallic sludge on it so a filter change for your first ATF service is a good idea.

TIS 24 11 013 (link) states not to use any solvent for cleaning so I just wiped the pan down with a towel.

I used this common orange transfer pump to refill. No leaks or mess and makes quick work of the fill process as each pump transfers 200ml or so.

Writing the pan bolt sequence on the pan itself makes life a lot easier.

Other tips:
1. Use four of the same jack stands at the same height to ensure that the car is level.
2. Loosen the fill plug before the drain plug in case you can't remove the latter. Mine came off with ease, but I only have 74k mi and I also sprayed them with penetrating fluid first.
3. Leave a pan bolt threaded at each corner and tap the pan with a rubber mallet to break it loose. You can also gently pry a corner to get it started.

Tools:
- 8mm socket - under panel
- 17mm ratcheting wrench - fill plug
- 5mm hex socket - drain plug
- 10mm socket - pan bolts
- 1/4" dr torque wrench
- Transfer pump
- IR thermometer gun

Parts:
- Filter - BMW 24117593565 $60 (Filtran Germany, same as factory filter)
- Gasket - BMW 24117572618 $55 (brand unknown, made in USA, same markings as factory gasket)
- 6-7 qt Motomaster synthetic Dexron VI $6/qt (licensed)

Torque specs:
- Pan bolts - 9.5 Nm
- Fill plug - 19 Nm
- Drain plug - 14 Nm

And the pan bolt sequence again:

Last edited by The Nightman; 03-24-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 4