11-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #2691
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post

It would be great if someone with 29.2+ would do this to confirm...
Actually, I already have tried to do this and reported it earlier in the thread (I have Apr08 build, presumably 29.2+), and wasn't believed (or was told that since I haven't driven one with <29.2, I didn't know what to look for). I'm certainly up for more testing, but it's not worth it if I get similar responses from people only looking for a confirming response of lag. I can state unequivocably that my car does not feel sluggish below 3000rpm, and I can feel good boost beginning around 1.5k rpms. It does feel similar to what others have described with the 2009s. I have a hard time confirming if it feels like full torque at 1.5k, but it builds smoothly, and I can't detect a noticeable change at 3k rpms.

There are also a couple of factors that may be working against my ability to test this well. One is that I have a fairly short commute, and I know the wastegate behavior changes once the engine warms. Does anyone know when it changes (i.e. after the first couple minutes, or does the oil temp needle need to be moving up)? I want to make sure I'm not testing it during the "cold engine" program. The second factor is that my car is fairly new (<1500 miles). I haven't been driving it much because I put snows on fairly early, and it's been unseasonably warm here in Chicago, although that should change this weekend. It could be that the lag behavior changes a bit once miles are accumulated, and the wastegates have more use on them. If that is a factor, perhaps a tester with more miles would be better.
Appreciate 0