02-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #98
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F31 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s View Post
It's all back together now and have taken it for a few runs dropping off and collecting the little one from nursery and it is silent so far. I couldn't get any real indication of torque with the crownwheel still in there, but I'm confident from having setting it up a few times on the bench that I have a decent idea on the relationship between the torque I put on the nut and the drag on the pinion, so it should hopefully be ballpark correct just from torquing the nut. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it!
Having driven it, I'm feeling 3.23 is still too short, so at some point I may consider a shorter ratio.
A few pics, they always seem grotty, I suppose the underside of cars generally do.
I did a few fixes like the below on the heatshield that was on its last legs around the bolt holes - I intended to buy another but only remembered when I was putting it all together, so this will have to do:

Did some general flapwheeling, kurust and dinitrol to clean up the subframe etc.

General impression is the ARB and suspension bits at the rear make it much tighter, the eibachs sit perfectly and are noticeable both in terms of ride height and ride - from what I'd read I was expecting them to basically be the same as oem sport springs but am glad that they're a bit more sporty and a touch lower. The diff is noticeably shorter but I'm annoyed I didn't go 3.38, I think it would have been better still and it still feels a bit long. The LSD has definitely improved traction but I've not really had chance to push it.
Maybe at some point I'll consider selling the diff complete and try a 3.38, no rush though!
Good to see it all back together Tim, but was expecting to see the undercarriage as clean as the examples by this Dutch guy!

https://www.facebook.com/51648536175...529866429/?d=n