View Single Post
      05-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #22
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Very nice. It's been a while since my wife and I had been down to Hinton and stayed at the Blue Stone State Park.

If you ever head up to Pocahotas and Randolph Counties in West VA have fun. The technology range goes from the steam engines of Cass to the Robert C Byrd Radio Telescope which is the world's largest steerable dish. And make sure to find Gaudineer Knob. It has 20+ acres of virgin Red Spruce that were missed in the logging in the early 1900's. Some of which are absolutely huge.
Greyfox,

Thanks! If the Bluestone Dam extension hasn't been completed by the next time you go to Hinton, you might consider staying upstream… Just sayin'!

I've been through Pocahontas and Randolph Counties a few times, by motorcycle and car, and they are indeed terrific. Check out The Drummer, The Private Eye, and Me (especially if you happen to be a Rush fan), West Virginia (GPS, Gravel, and All), and/or Return to West Virginia. I still want to take the Cass steam engine excursion one of these times.

I've added Gaudineer Knob to my "must see" list, thanks to your recommendation. Almost everywhere you go in the U.S., you're seeing multiple layers of civilization. It would be exciting to see an original forest that's never been cut down, had a town or factory built over it, and then grown up all over again.

Rick

PS: The complete, unabridged list of all my various trip reports back to 2005 is available at Rick F.'s Trip Reports. Happy reading!
Appreciate 0