View Single Post
      03-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #27
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Sorry I did a lot of online resarch on the N55 oil filter housing gasket DIY and as my first time reading this thread I must say I've not heard of any of these"priming" requirements that you guys are joking about....

Why would oil pressure be affected from the housing being opened to replace the gasket?

I thought opening the oil filter cap allowed most of the fluids to drain out the housing BEFORE opening the filter housing.
There have been cumulative posts over time of cars seizing shortly after doing an OFHG job. No one knows why. There is a generic SIB from bmw to techs stating that the oil system should be primed any time it is opened up... The SIB also applies to the fuel system. That is what people are referencing.

You're right that an OFHG is really no different than changing an oil filter and it doesn't make much sense. It's not like an OFHG is actually draining the oil galley from the housing to the oil pump, or, bleeding the oil pump dry, but, who knows why else these cars might have seized after having the OFHG serviced... One theory is aerated oil.
Appreciate 0