View Single Post
      12-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #13
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
Couple of my buddys partake in HPDE track days throughout the year. I've done a few lunch time "parade" laps in my 2010 328i E90 and I'm pretty hooked. Sure I'm not out there in a Ferrari or other exotic sports cars like some guys, but I want to have fun too!

My car is basically stock a/t with staggered 19s and H&R sport springs. Ventus V12 Evo2 tires. E90 M3 alignment. Stock brake pad material. Brake fluid flushed with OEM 1000 miles ago.

On the laps I've done around Sebring International Raceway it has the typical E9x understeer, otherwise I'm quite shocked on how well mannered the car handles. My grandma could rip this thing around a road course without effort.

What are some things that I can change on the car, yet keep it daily drivable? I know I need change brake pad material (hawk hp plus?), maybe change out the struts to bilsteins or koni? M3 LCAs? Turner Motorsports also sells cross drilled rotors, would that help?

HPDEs is not "racing" as there are no lap times or winners, but I'd like to go out there with a car that can handle the stresses of going balls out around Road Atlanta, Homestead, or Sebring without worrying about my brakes fading to nothing and or sliding into the grass.
Bet you $100 you will never drive a single session in an HPDE.

I know this type all too well. "Gotta set up my car for HPDE. It'll need camber. Yeah. I'll need big brakes. The tires are no good. The suspension needs a refresh. I can't keep up with the C7 Corvettes. Gotta get roll bars, harnesses, and seats, because, you know, safety. And oh race car."

I know because I used to be one.

You know what your car needs? A helmet. Because it's not the car that needs work to get on track. It's you.

That car you have, in its current form, is 1,000x more capable than you as a driver. You are the weakest link now, so unless you get a helmet and start attending HPDEs to learn the fine-art of going around in a circle (that includes left and right turns) very, VERY fast, there's nothing you can physically do to your car to make it more "ready than it already is.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2