View Single Post
      04-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
djy5005
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive

B4 or B6 HD shocks w/stock springs for DD?

After doing whatever research I could find, I haven't found out the answer to the following question for rear shocks: For a 328i xDrive, will the Bilstein B6 HD shocks show significant improvement over the B4 shocks if I keep the stock springs on the AWD setup? Also, I've seen other posts where for a B8 setup, I would need new springs, but I've also seen some posts where it almost looked like I needed aftermarket springs with the B6 shocks - I don't think this is true, but can anyone clarify?

This is my daily drive, and I don't really want new springs as I have another project Wrangler I'm working on and would like to dump money into that. I'm looking to keep stock ride height, as I don't want to lower the car.

I am leaning towards the B4 because it looks like I can just replace the shocks without the springs, and its essentially OEM with maybe slightly higher gas pressure/improved performance.

However, I see a lot of praise for the B6 HD shocks, but am hesitant to buy them at double the cost of the B4, especially since its a DD, I live in the NYC/NorthNJ area (and don't necessarily want hard suspension with all the potholes), and I haven't really seen anyone state that they're significantly better with stock springs, but rather with aftermarket Eibachs or whatnot.

So, back to the original question: B4 or B6 with stock springs?

Last edited by djy5005; 04-18-2017 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0