View Single Post
      02-22-2020, 02:59 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightaway View Post
2009 328i. Tpms inop. I have 4 codes. 604f,6050,6051,6052 and 6053. All my sensors send a signal and my air pressure is right. I have a snap on scanner. I thought is was the rdc. I replaced it with a used one. I did not get it reprogram. Does it have to be reprogrammed because the light is still on. Or what else should I look for?
If your Scan Tool does NOT provide Fault Code Definitions, you can use this link to see the definition of each of those codes as provided by BMW Fault Code Lookup:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/

Your TPMS System has Six (6) components other than the Wheel Pressure Sensors (which you indicate have tested OK). You have FIVE (5) Fault Codes, one for each of the Four (4) Transmitters (one located in each wheel well), and the 5th code is for the RDC Antenna located beneath the vehicle somewhere beneath the Driver Seat. In short, you have a fault code for all the 5 components you did NOT replace, but NO fault code for the RDC Module itself. Here is the TIS circuit diagram for the system used through the 2009 Model:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...r-rdc/H2DAPopj

Questions:

1) Do you have a Scan Tool or Software (such as INPA or ISTA) that can Read Parameters to test the System?

2) Have you tried to connect to the RDC Module or used something such as INPA Functional Jobs to see if the Module is recognized as being powered and able to communicate with the Scan Tool or Software (the ORIGINAL RDC Module that is).

(3) Have you checked for (a) Power Supply at Pin #15, Red/Violet wire, of Connector X18034, and also for (b) Continuity to Ground at Pin #16, Brown wire, of that Connector X18034 at the RDC Module?

Unless there was some catastrophic event that damaged Components, Connectors, or wiring in all four wheelwells, and the antenna as well, I would try to identify a single electrical failure that could cause a separate fault code for EACH of those 5 components, beginning by testing for Power Supply & Ground to the RDC Module to which each of the other 5 components is connected. Note that EACH of the 5 components attached to the RDC Module (4 Transmitters and the Antenna/Aerial) have a (-) Ground, (+) power supply, and BUS communication wire. If the system operated properly until recently, I would want to know WHAT event occurred to cause the failure, and to inspect each of the 5 components, their Connectors, and associated wiring, for any signs of damage.

AFAIK, a replacement RDC Module SHOULD be "plug & play" without any coding or initialization. From the photo you provided, it appears that the BMW Part# shown in the photo is 36236785279, which should be the proper replacement if the issue had been a defective RDC (which is NOT supported by the codes you provided):
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=6785279

If it's all just too much trying to sort the issue, you always have the option of making the TPMS "Inactive" and Activating the FTM which simply uses calculations of wheel speed variations to detect Flat Tires.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0