View Single Post
      06-11-2020, 03:46 AM   #1
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Crank Hub Issue - which engines affected?

As per the title really.

Been reading about the issue with the S55 crank hub. In brief, BMW threw out the last 100 years of engine development and decided to lock the crank gear to the crankshaft with nothing more than a diamond sintered washer, and a load of torque from the crank bolt to hold the timing in place. In certain circumstances the bolt moves and no longer holds the timing accurately. As the S55 is an interference engine, the results can be catastrophic.

My question is: does anyone know if this design feature is found on other BMW engines? Looking at RealOEM it appears this may well be the case on other engine series, but I wanted to know for sure.

Cheers...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0