View Single Post
      10-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Good for you man...taking the plunge, you will find a mixed bag of opinions when it comes to Chemical Guys products and I wont weigh as I have only use 1 or two of their soaps. You will need to determine the level of correction is required to get the results you desire then order appropriately. As far as equipment there are similar polishers in terms of features and throw (the Harbor Freight DA comes to mind) that are a bit more affordable if affordability is a part of your decision process. While the kit you linked does come with pads, there aren't enough to do a full polish/correction on a car. Rule of thumb, more correction= more pads, if you are using a compound you will need more pads than if you were using a polish. For reference on a mid-size car I would probably use 5-6 foam pads for compounding (more if I'm using mf), and maybe 3-5 for polishing. Most sites that sell detailing products sell packs of pads from different manufacturers that you can customize the exact pads you would like within the 6,8,12 pack. You said your vehicles are in good shape so maybe a light to med polish is all you need, pair that with a some polishing pads and maybe some wax/sealant pads and you are gold. You will like applying sealants and waxes by machine IMHO it saves time and product. Couple of small but important items as well get a pad brush to clean you pads after each panel/section pass, working clean will give you better more consistent results. Also you may want to get some type of panel wipe/paint prep product to remove any oils left on the paint after you complete the polishing step it will ensure proper bonding of your wax/sealant/coating. Isopropyl alchohol/distilled water mix will work as a final wipe in a pinch also.....sorry for the rant but lotta avenues to cover ...lol