Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
The issue may still be your fan. The Fan is capable of running at different speeds. It's abnormal for it to run full speed all the time when its on. Except when the A/C is on. you can test this out using the INPA software.. tests are 50%, 75% & 100%. If it fails to operate at 50% or 75% then you will know that the fan is failing.
I've been trying to get INPA to work on my new laptop. I had it on my old laptop but I can't remember how I got the ports to work in the virtual machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
QUESTIONS:
1) Any warning light or SES when the code is set?
2) Are you monitoring coolant temp (ECTS signal to DME) either with PID readout or using Hidden Menu 7.00?
3) Is coolant temp OK as long as you are moving?
4) When it "goes into a limp mode" is ANY warning light or SES lit?
5) Does it leave "limp mode" on its own when temperature drops, or do you have to delete code?

The fan motor may be working perfectly, but apparently the fan control module (which is integral with fan unit) is NOT, OR you have an issue in the connector or wiring.

Here is what Bentley says about that code:
P14CO | 2EFF | Fan Mechanical Hardware Defect

Here is what Bentley says about fan self-test on startup:
"When the vehicle is first started, the ECM activates the electric fan
briefly at 20% of its maximum speed, then switches OFF. This is for
diagnostic monitoring. The voltage generated by the fan when it
slows down (acting as a generator) must match the stored rpm
values in the fan output stage to confirm that the fan is operating
correctly."
If you have INPA/ISTA, you can do some diagnostics on the fan, using Activations as stated above. If you do NOT have that software, but can read & clear the 2EFF code, you can do this:
Clear the code. Have someone else start the engine while you monitor fan operation. See if fan runs @ 20% max speed for ~ 10-20 seconds. Look for any warning light or code.

If either the fan never ran, or it ran and then set the code again, you have some further evidence of the nature of the issue.

George
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to get INPA to work on my virtual machine but its a PITA.

1) No warning lights, I can only see it through MHD
2) Monitoring coolant temp with MHD as well
3) Coolant temp is steady at 210F until the fan turns on, then it goes to about 170F
4) Still no warning lights when it goes into limp
5) It leaves limp mode when the fan goes back to normal (temp goes down to 170)

The fan does run when I start it and the code doesn't come back right away, I'll have to see for sure today after work how long it takes to come back. I cleared it then fired it up and let it idle for about 2 minutes and the code didn't come back in that 2 min.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0