View Single Post
      09-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
I've been trying to get INPA to work on my new laptop. I had it on my old laptop but I can't remember how I got the ports to work in the virtual machine. [If you have a Windows 10 laptop, it should just be straight install, NO virtual machine?]...
3) Coolant temp is steady at 210F until the fan turns on, then it goes to about 170F
4) Still no warning lights when it goes into limp
5) It leaves limp mode when the fan goes back to normal (temp goes down to 170)...
As suggested by IISev, it sounds like you have some type of communication fault in the BSD (Bit-Serial Data) bus, or other issue with DME control of Coolant Pump and/or Thermostat. If you are cruising at 50+ MPH, there should be enough air flow through the radiator that the fan is NOT needed, and the fan coming on (ONLY that) should NOT cause the actual coolant temp as detected by the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) to drop from 210F to 170F.

If the thermostat, coolant pump, and radiator fan are all functioning properly (along with proper DME control) the Fan should NOT be operating at cruising speed, and its operation should have no effect on coolant temperature. Also if the thermostat is operating properly, you should NOT see temp going from 210 to 170F, but rather it should be in the 190 - 200F range, when cruising, and radiator fan should NOT come on.

It sounds like your coolant pump is NOT operating (at least at high enough speed) until the fan kicks in (for some reason). You don't post your model or year (necessary for correct circuit diagram information), but just guessing from some prior posts, you have a 335i E90, and if it is 2008 or later, then the following schematic applies (drill down and get correct diagram if 2007 or earlier):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ooling/vRilOSj

Start with checking fuse F37 (30A) which powers the control for both the Coolant Pump and Thermostat, and if you can monitor fan speed, pump speed, ECTS temp signal and Radiator outlet temp signal while cruising at steady 50 - 65 MPH, as you can with INPA, then you can probably get a better idea of what is happening.

INPA allows you to MONITOR in "Activations"/ Steuern (F6) BOTH (1) Thermostat opening position, and (2) Coolant Pump speed (as percentages of max), along with ECTS Temp Signal and Radiator Outlet Temp Signal, so that you can see what is going on with the pump and thermostat. That would be the best diagnostic for your wild coolant temp fluctuation (between 210F & 170F). As stated before, if the fan is coming on while cruising, I don't think the FAN is the issue.

George
Appreciate 0