View Single Post
      06-30-2020, 11:04 PM   #1
rameetss
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

e90 LCI Xenon Headlight Custom LED retrofit + Blackout

Hi everyone, I was looking for threads and DIY's to blackout and install LED angel eyes for e90 LCI headlights but couldn't find any so I took some pics and decided to share.

If you don't want to look through all 5 parts I have attached a PDF so everything's all in one place, and it has a few more pics as well. e90 headlights diy.pdf

I'm NOT an expert, just a kid with too much time during quarantine. This is my first forum post but I figured it could help someone tryna do their own headlights. Ill be starting the DIY with the headlights removed from the car.

Stuff I used:
- Dremel to cut the lip
- Various torx bits
- Heat gun
- 3M tape
- Black paint
- JB weld
- LED rings
- Silicon adhesive
- Recommended: New lenses, I didn’t replace mine and regret it

Part 1 - Opening the Headlights

The e90 headlight design is such that the lenses is sandwiched between 2 lips which are both attached with glue. The first pic is the attached diagram that shows this. The green line is the lenses, which the black is the lips and the blue line is the glue holding the lenses down to the lip. The red arrow is where I cut the top lip to get access to the permaseal holding the lenses.

I used a Dremel to cut the top part of the lip, and give me access to the top of the lens and the glue under it. (Pic2)

Once this was cut, I used a flathead to slowly pry up the lip and remove it from the housing completely. (Pic3)

Once the top lip was cut and removed, I used a construction knife to cut the initial seal between the housing and lenses. (Pic4)

Once the top lip was cut and removed, I used a construction knife to cut the initial seal between the housing and lenses. Once I had a clean cut all around, I slid an old thicker knife I had laying around to get some leverage between the 2 surfaces as the glue is very hard. I used a heat gun liberally to try and heat the glue to make separation easier. (Pic5)

After about 10 mins or so I was able to get some decent separation on 1 side, which gave me the leverage to open the other sides of the lenses as well. (Pic6)
Attached Images

Last edited by rameetss; 06-30-2020 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Adding a PDF
Appreciate 0