View Single Post
      07-09-2008, 02:27 AM   #16
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

I don’t think that we can compare RF tires with electrical system modifications.

The unfortunate truth is that the complexity of electrical systems has increased by orders of magnitude. I have two 1970 era cars in my garage as I write this, and both of them have wiring diagrams that fit on two pages. I have two recent production VWs in the driveway whose wiring diagrams consume a good chunk of their Bentley manuals. And then there is the E90 325 that is my wife’s driver, whose possible electrical problems put fear in my veins.

And on top of simple wire counts let there be…. Software.

I am unusual in that I don’t mind chasing wiring, be it my older cars or the airplanes that I used to make my living on. But I am very cautious with regard to undocumented wiring in current production cars. This is not your father’s Oldsmobile, as they say.

Your best bet is to step back and start building documentation. What the guys who did the radio [I mean sound system] work did, diagrams included; and what the dealer feels is the underlying problem. Documentation is your one and only friend in this situation.

And if the guys who did the modification work don't have any documentation, as my paranoid mind suspects, your problem is not the dealer.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0