View Single Post
      01-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #72
ally_bassman
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
No issues with anything melting - well not to my knowledge as I haven't looked. However, I do now have quite a bad condensation problem on the inside of one of the lenses. This is due to the fact that when we fitted the first led, it was all a bit trial and error. This resulted in the first one being slightly botched! We didn't drill the hole in the dust cover in the correct place. It was slightly too high which meant the cables were getting trapped between the dust cover and the heatsink, and so preventing the dust cover from fitting back on properly. We ended up drilling another small hole for one of the cables. I did put some silicone around it to try and seal it but the dust cover was still a tight fit and I guess not air tight, hence the condensation.
When we installed the second led we had learnt from our mistakes and drilled the hole slightly lower. This made all the difference as the gromit fitted perfectly with the cables running through it and not catching on the heatsink which in turn allowed the dust cover to fit back on perfectly. I have had no issues at all with the second one.
Today I have ordered another dust cover from bmw and will have another go to try and make it the same as the good one. At the same time I will adjust the bulb position to try and improve the beam pattern, as mentioned in previous posts. Just got to muster up the motivation to do it cos it's just such a ball ache having to remove the wheels and arch liners to get to them. And being the middle of winter it's bloody cold!
The condensation is really annoying though, so I will get it done, and report back on how everything is.
I hope you get it sorted, I too have a little bit of a condensation problem with my nearside headlight. Caused by me not sealing the rubber grommit properly. I had a haolgen builders light thing in the garage left from the pervious owner of my house, i poppped it onto a bucket so it was level with the headlight and left it shining light into it for 20 minutes, moving it every so often. Worked a treat to remove the condensation. I stupidly did not open up the bulb cover so the damp air had knowhere to go. so it's comeback, not as bad as before though.

I plan to do it again when I change my brakes in a couple of weeks, same process, just with a bulb cover open at the back, will also get a heatgun or hair dryer and shoot some warm air in to hopefully get rid of it once and for all! If after that I get problems again, i'm going to get some new bulb covers, take the balasts out and then chop and then re-solder the connectors on after if fed them through the bulb cover through tiny holes, rather than one big one. Fingers crossed I don't need to do that much faffing!

Apart from that, i've got the bulb pattern ok, they're both level and facing the right way, you just don't get the same cut off as you would in projector lenses. still very happy with them.