07-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #32
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZANIDO777 View Post
Most likely spun a rod bearing over the weekend at Calabogie Motorsports Park. Started to hear a very loud metal clanking sound and cars oil temp went to 285 (water stayed at 206F max) before I had to call it quits and come into the pits. This is on a track only car for the past 4 years.

2011 135
N55 engine
Manual Transmission
Oil change interval every 20 hours for the last 4 years
First 2 years of track only was using oem 5W30 and then switched to Motul 300V 5W30 for remaining 2 years.
I am original owner - 31k miles mix of track and daily driving, 4k Track only, total 35k miles
FBO with MHD stage 2 OTS tune

May have over revved car during the first session on Saturday but the data suggests I did not go over 7K rpm. Problems started happening after this point.

Have not removed oil pan yet to inspect as I just back yesterday and doing some research now on my options. Car still turns on and runs but with a loud metal clanking noise.

Looking at the MMP rebuild option as it seems the most cost effective and would have a built motor. Could do a lot of the labor (removing and installing engine) myself.
May not be a rod bearing given what you heard/saw when it happened. When mine went my temps were all nominal, there were no noises, the car just hesitated for a moment, and if I took my foot off the gas it wanted to die. Once I pulled over and turned it off, it wouldn't start again for about 30 minutes (It would crank, but it was VERY slow). After that, the car started and drove fine but I could something wasn't quite right. Lo and behold, the next morning the car developed a knock when I went to drive off.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0