View Single Post
      05-22-2015, 06:10 AM   #1
luxe91
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91

Windshield wipers always ON! DSC, JBBE Errors

Hi Everyone. I'm a new member.

After reading a lot of forum posts and searching I need to ask for help from the experts here.

The car is a 2006 320d Touring (build 12/2006), European model.

In a nutshell the current problem with my car is that the windshield wipers cannot be controlled (always on!!!), the turn signals do not cancel automatically, the Traction Control and Brake lights are lit up on the dash (yellow) and I get a tire pressure warning. I think the issue really is the JBE (junction box electronics) which is not a common culprit.

I was able to drive the car on a limited basis with the wiper relay pulled, but now the car is effectively out of use.

Slowly the problem has evolved as follows over the past year:

- Tire Pressure warning light coming on and off (started after swapping between winter and summer wheels, OEM sizes)
- DSC light coming on and off (was able to reset with INPA and went away for a while)
- DSC light becoming sensitive to (car cabin-assumed) temperature (dash lights off when car was parked outside in the cold, then came back on after few minutes of driving)
- Wipers would start running by themselves, no control over them. Initailly problem went away by cycling the ignition a couple times. (After that I had to start pulling out the relay to maintain my sanity)
- NOW: wipers are always on, DSC light always on, brake light yellow always, turn signals don't cancel.

These are the current codes being returned. Particularly interesting are the codes for DSC and JBE/JBBF.

DSC:

D373 D373 - F-CAN SWA-Top-Sensor data 200 or 201 is missing
5E3F 5E3F - F-CAN SZL coding error.
5E51 5E51 - F-CAN SZL serial number invalid.
D34B D34B - F-CAN-Bus Off.
D370 D370 - F-CAN Sensorcluster_1 data 205 is missing
D371 D371 - F-CAN Sensorcluster_2 data 209 is missing
D372 D372 - F-CAN Sensorcluster_3 data 212 is missing
9520 9520 - steering wheel MFL: mechanical faulty, contact.

JBBF:

A6CA WISCHER_STUFE_1_RELAIS
C918 PT_CAN_ID2A6_BEDIENUNG_WISCHER_TIMEOUT
C918 PT_CAN_ID2A6_BEDIENUNG_WISCHER_TIMEOUT
A6E4 SENSOR_TANK_LINKS
A6E5 SENSOR_TANK_RECHTS
A6D1 ZUSATZWASSERPUMPE

I know a lot of the above can tie back to the usual DSC/SZL/tri-fecta of lights issues these car have, however I don't think the codes are exactly tying back to the common items such as:

1) Wheel sensors - Mine are all reading correctly and report the same rotation speed via INPA. I have inspected and cleaned all 4. A couple had some minor scraping on the surface. Did not inspect ABS rings.
2) ABS Pump - Have not done anything, as I don't see a specific code for this.
3) ABS Pump Electronic module - Have not gone for a rebuild yet, as have not 100% confirmed that this is the cause. The temperature sensitivity of failing units reported by others is interesting.
4) Steering wheel SZL/Disk/Board - Found no residue on the encoder disk. Cleaned anyway. Also reflowed most solder joints on the circuit board. No difference.
5) Battery is in good condition, there is no IBS sensor on the negative terminal, but a small connector on the positive side is correctly plugged in.
6) Alignment appears correct but has not been redone.
7) JBE - inspected and tried to reflow with heat gun. No difference.

Car is fully stock except for a wiring harness for the radio to plug in a PnP audio amplifier. This required relocating the Fiber optic Most cable to the new radio plug.

This all brings me to the JBE which I suspect is the issue because of the following:

1. My error codes don't matchup exactly to anyone else who had the classic DSC/SZL issue. The closest was a guy in Sweden who had 4 of my SZL communication errors and fixed it by reflowing solder joints on the SZL board.
  2. The JBE is a pass thru for F-CAN communications between the SZL and DSC, as well as has circuitry for windshield wipers
  3. Looks like the JBE was replaced sometime in 2011 under previous owner (verified via INPA and part number date of JBE) so is a potential culprit again
  4. The very few cases I have found of wipers running out of control are people who were doing something with the JBE

Would welcome any thoughts on any of the above.

My next steps are to buy a used JBE to replace what I have. This is my intuition and the JBE is the least expensive part vs the other possible culprits.

Q: Does the replacement JBE need to have a later manufacture date than the build of my car?

Q: What are the steps/tools to code the JBE to my car once I install it? I have NSC Expert, EDIBAS, INPA etc. Cannot find any instructions for how exactly to do this.

If this is indeed the JBE, then I can look forward to the next round of DSC related failures (at least these were well documented) )

Thanks for reading and again would welcome any help.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 0510150 Errors DSC.pdf (8.5 KB, 876 views)
File Type: pdf jbbe error details.pdf (5.2 KB, 635 views)
File Type: pdf 0510150 Errors.pdf (3.9 KB, 431 views)
File Type: pdf jbbf info.pdf (78.2 KB, 493 views)

Last edited by luxe91; 05-29-2015 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: minor wording corrections
Appreciate 0