10-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #4
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 Jet Black 335i (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
It will be fine.

Your old cluster will still have your cars VIN programmed in.

When you plug it in the CAS and KOMBI will be matched and the highest mileage / KM reading taken from either module and stored.

The old cluster should have the same mileage / KM as when you unplugged it. As soon as you plug it back in it will auto take higher CAS mileage.
Thank You for the quick response sensible . This makes sense as whatever cluster is not in the car has the lower mileage, and will just pick up the higher mileage upon replacement back into vehicle.

So just to clarify** In theory, one could swap interchangeably back and forth without the necessity of any coding or chip adjustment between each swap (e.g. M3 -> 335 -> back to M3). Do I have that correct?

Quote:
How much is the dealer charging you to do this? I called to get a quote from my dealer and they quoted me over $500
That is ridiculous. My dealer is only charging 1 hour of labor. There is an independent shop as well I found in the area that will do it for a little more than the dealer, but still under $200 out the door.

Try framing the question as "Can you give me a bid on completing a full ISTA/P update on the vehicle"? This will cover you both on the CIC and DME. A shop that works on BMW's that has an ICOM cable and someone who is knowledgeable in this process should be able to help you.
Appreciate 0