View Single Post
      06-20-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Thank you. It's a little scary doing it yourself sometimes, but I do find it is very rewarding, and you learn a lot more about your car. You just have to be careful and go SLOWLY, and don't be afraid to ask questions. This is my first new car, so I am a little apprehensive doing anything to it, though.

I don't fault anyone for having the work done at the dealer, of course. But it's like I tell my wife, I have a hard time paying for things that I can do myself, even if I don't always have the time. When it comes to my BMW, I can barely even stand to let the dealers touch it. I know that since our cars are so new, very few BMW techs have even had a chance to work on one themselves. Of course they are experienced with other BMWs so they have a huge head start on us.

On a side note, when I had the rear wheel off, I noticed that I did have a nail (suspected this due to very slow leak) in the tire (in the first 1300 miles!). So it was off to the tire shop to have a qualified tech fix the punture. I would never try something like that on my own, but for things like pedals, the alarm, and the wheel stud locks, I think most people could do them on their own if they have some experience working on cars.
Appreciate 0