08-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #26
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
While I agree this is pretty cool to see, the $15k price tag just isn't feasible financially. The only way I could see it working out was if you yourself owned a machine shop and had proper knowledge of how to build the car.
$5k for the ECU
$3k for the PDM
$1k for the e36 throttle body
$1k for the custom intake manifold
$1k minimum for the custom race headers
$1k for the lightened flywheel
$500 for misc motor parts
$2.5k+ for custom cams

Not even mentioning the amount of work on the suspension, wheels, tires, and race interior. I'd rather buy another car for racing...Ex:e36 m3, coilovers, wheels, tires and a small amount of motor work <$15k and IMO a better car.
If you're building a race car, then basic logic really goes out the window period. I just came back from NJMP and saw Turner's 328i with more money put into. Then there's that other fellow on e90post in the process of transplanting a Z4 n52 motor in his 328i as well. End of day, if there's a race group for these cars why not? It's not like anyone entering this sport does it because it's cheap.

Building an e30/36 race car seems to be the obvious answer now but it wasn't back then while still in production. It was only a matter of time folks start moving into e90 territory. And in 5 years when the F-series reaches its end, someone may do the same with that (even though an e46 would be so much cheaper to build). And I'm sure the majority of the reason behind choosing the n52 over the n54/55 is just based on club racing rules but its longevity and reliability are probably huge pluses as well.