08-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #27
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Should this even be done on stock ECU?
you can get some tunes that electronically lock to max lift, so it's possible kinda - the big thing is.. you COULD set the new ECU up for valvetronic... or you could not and just have it set to max power lol. the stock ECU *CAN* already control it, so the stock ECU can electronically max it out with the right setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
If you're building a race car, then basic logic really goes out the window period. I just came back from NJMP and saw Turner's 328i with more money put into. Then there's that other fellow on e90post in the process of transplanting a Z4 n52 motor in his 328i as well. End of day, if there's a race group for these cars why not? It's not like anyone entering this sport does it because it's cheap.

Building an e30/36 race car seems to be the obvious answer now but it wasn't back then while still in production. It was only a matter of time folks start moving into e90 territory. And in 5 years when the F-series reaches its end, someone may do the same with that (even though an e46 would be so much cheaper to build). And I'm sure the majority of the reason behind choosing the n52 over the n54/55 is just based on club racing rules but its longevity and reliability are probably huge pluses as well.

would probably be cheaper just to do the 3-stage mani swap and tune... an N52 and ECU etc. can't be cheaper than a couple of grand

yeah an E36 can be made stupid fast for little money, tons of aero and suspension mods, turbo/sc kits/engine swaps

but it's not bad to make these cars quick, full M3 suspension, coilovers... and for 128's, tune and 3 stage, for all N52's... catless exhaust/headers and it's 300hp for plenty of straight line for not too much $ .. 300hp isn't slow by any stretch of the imagination.. and amazing handling.
Appreciate 0