11-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #2729
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
So MY08 cars don't need the wastegate management changes of 29.2, so will they reverse these changes?.....

I guess I know the answer.....
According to BMW, the answer is "yes", this is what Autobild wrote:

"Und die Problemautos vor Baujahr September 2007? Hier will BMW die Besitzer offenbar mit einer billigen Softwarelösung abspeisen, anstatt gleich die teuren Turbos zu tauschen. Dafür spricht, dass in Kürze - wie bei Microsofts Pannen-Betriebsystem Windows Vista - ein Downgrade der Steuersoftware auf die alte Version möglich sein soll."

Translated:

"And the problem cars built before September 2007? BMW obviously wants to put off their owners with a cheap software solution, instead of exchanging the expensive turbos. Which seems even more probable given that shortly - as with Microsoft's breakdown operating system Windows Vista - a downgrade of the control software to the former version will be made possible."

Also, this is the same info as I was given by BMW, namely that in late december or early next year a downgrade will be possible as a field solution.

I cannot tell you whether this will be a downgrade to the delivery version for the car or a completely new version that has pre-v29.2 wastegate behaviour again. However, it will only be available for MSD80 cars as BMW sees no need for newer MSD81 cars.
Appreciate 0