Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDemonDM View Post
Funny how the purist bash on the 335d.. I suspect most of them just heard from somebody's aunt that had a neighbor with a cousin that drove a 335d and had problems with it..

The M57 engine is a beast and all the common problems (mostly emissions) are well documented and relatively easy to fix if you have the time to search.

I challenge anybody with a 335i "rocket" to drive a deleted 335d and compare the 2.. tell us what you think about that torque.
I’ll say that my 335d was an emissions reliability disaster. Every single part in the emissions system in my car has been replaced multiple times. Egr 4x, egr cooler 4x, dpf, scr, scr tank, maf 4x, nox sensors both 3x, carbon cleaning, injectors, vacuum lines, Even had a puma case and had bmws master mechanic flown in to work on the car. It spent more time in the shop than on the road, when I bought it. Even considered a lemon law buy back.

I did tune and delete the egr. It’s been more reliable, but I’ve had to replace the harmonic balancer 65k miles with a fluid damper (would not recommend fluid damper) tensioner, belts, ac compressor failed about a month ago, vacuum lines, now I have some oil leaks on the turbo lines. The compressor, belts, condenser and flush were 1900. Red boost hose failed, interior materials failing.

So the diesel is not the cheap option, you may have to delete to get it road worthy which is a multi thousand option. It’s not the cost effective option.

I’ve had mine for 4 years, and I love it. But would say if you want diesel, skip the m57 and buy a n57 if you want low maintenance and reliable. But the twin turbo m57 is a beast, and highly modabble, mostly out of necessity.

Only buy one if you love diesel or want a project car that you may have to mod. Some people have good luck, but there are enough reports of emissions problems that it does hit a lot of people,
Appreciate 1