06-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #67
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
I never understood the time and money people put into not getting a speeding ticket these days (radar, jammers, camo plates, etc). I would hope the drivers that I assume speed on a regular basis for which a ticket would be issued know that speeding causes more than 10,000 deaths per year (a large amount of the entire road related deaths). If you want to drive faster than the speed limit than either face the consequences or put up some $$ to get on a track / private road.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/media/press...308_speed.html

Moderator Note: thread split off from radar detector discussion.
Most of it is to protect drivers against speed traps which solely exist to generate revenue for a jurisdiction. Look at DC, there's a section of I-395 through DC that's three lanes wide, straight stretch of road, and very little in the way of exits and on-ramps. Speed limit through that section? 45 mph. That stretch of road also has a fair share of speed cameras, at least until recently. Revenue has dropped in DC from speed cameras since people know where they are now so the city took it upon themselves to move them to other speed traps.

In those instances, the speed limits aren't there for safety, they're there to generate revenue, plain and simple.
Appreciate 0