V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoffman View Post
Thank you!

The notion that 'speed kills' and is a significant factor in causing accidents is ridiculous. It causes larger wrecks, but I don't think it increases the amount of them. What does kill is inattentive driving, texting, and a general lack of confidence. I realize some may think the following is naive, but when I'm speeding I'm even MORE attentive, observant, and analytical. Im constantly checking all my mirrors so I know who's around me at all times. It's mindless driving (at any speed) is what kills.

The legitimate argument is that speeding impairs you're reaction time slightly, some of which is negated by big brakes. Again7, I know it sounds naive, but I've driven friends cars and I have to make note to brake much sooner than in my E92.

I'm certainly not arguing that speed is NOT a factor in accidents, I would just argue that's it's a much less significant factor than most people think.
Inattentive drivers are more dangerous at 80 mph than at 55 mph, they're covering more ground blind for every second they have their eyes off the road. Plus the increased stopping distance at 80 mph vs 55 mph.
Appreciate 0