edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonwheel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
How hot your oil gets? At one point DME will dial back ignition and performance will suffer. I think that is around 133c. At 143 you will go into limp mode.
I would at least install heat exchanger (fluid/fluid box). Though oil cooler radiator type would be best.
Luckily my n52 car has an oil temp gauge stock instead of that mpg gauge. The markers are 250 and 340. For me average driving is always just below 250. On the track if I'm downshifting and revving out gears I was getting almost halfway between the 250 and 340 marks. This should mean somewhere around 300 or 148c. I did not experience any CEL or noticeable power loss, but you're right about the oil cooler. I'm at or above the oil cooling ability with 20 min sessions on a 1.6 mile course. Definitely need to improve that.

If I was a bit less aggressive with my corner exits and just held third and lugged around 3,000 rpm out of the corner then the temps were barely over that 250 mark.

Long term that is the plan, and also running water instead of coolant/water mixture. Some guys at the track recommended that for better cooling.
Is your E92? It could have bit higher limp mode, but definitely you are at the point where it can turn. Your DME definitely dialed back ignition already, but it is hard to notice on track when you chasing curves.
Go oil radiator. I didi it and I can stay pretty much forever on track and track I go to is at 5,000ft. It is overkill and you want that. It is good for engine! Don't worry about winter and warming up. Thermostat opens at 110c.
As for coolant, run 10/90 or 20/80 ratio coolant/distilled water. You want bit of coolant bcs. lubrication of pump.
Appreciate 0