Thread: Not happy
View Single Post
      05-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I won't go into any specific detail but a lot of the issue is people see the SLS as a lot more expensive than it actually is. Yes, it is very expensive, but people perceptions are that it's even twice what it is!

Nothing has been said directly although things are implied based on our economic environment and the subsequent impacts this has had on some people. Thing is, I can't disagree with any of it and even before any of this, even I felt I couldn't use it as much as I wanted to. What with all of this and the consistent niggles, it's been quite a strange feeling owning this car (you will notice this in how little I've written about it...heck, I don't even have any really decent photo's like I do of my previous cars...although the weather since I've had it is largely to blame for this!)

I have (what I feel is) a fantastic job and an employer who has supported me through 11+ years of considerable growth so being cautious around a sensitive situation is only being prudent. And I'll admit that a lot of this will be my sensitivity to owning a car of such high (perceived) value....on the basis that I do actually appreciate the impression it appears to send out. Heck, it's not even just in a professional environment....you see it on here with people commenting how I must be a millionaire when in reality, it costs me no more to 'rent' than some very ordinary cars. So, if I feel I can't actually enjoy using it (for a plethora of reasons) then I probably won't use it - this would be just a waste and hence the decision to let it go. Believe me, an M6 is not even in the same league when it comes to perceived value (it looks like a 640d!)....neither are Porsches or (Maserati excepted) most other cars I've had as they're all very similar to cars than can be had for reasonable money.

I was very lucky how I came across the opportunity to own this car and, had I paid full retail money for it, it would have been as painful as highlighted above. Thankfully this isn't the case and so, gearbox upgrade apart, I'm lucky to have had the opportunity to own one with relatively low risk.

You've reminded me about Rob and if I still have it next week, I'll pop down and see him! All the guys at Sturgess said they wanted to see it....I thought it was more out of politeness! They will be getting my business again very soon though.

Last edited by Palmnuts; 05-15-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0