View Single Post
      01-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #30
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Out of the box, the AP is already configured with two "Stage 1" maps, intended for use on bone-stock cars. One is for 91 octane fuel and the other is for 93. I presume timing advance is the most significant difference. The AP also includes a "valet" file that cuts boost and lowers the rev limiter to 5000 RPM.

You can always switch back to your stock map from the AP and I've found that map switching takes about 5 minutes or so. The car feels and drives just like stock.

The AP has several other handy functions, including performance data monitoring (TPS, Ignition Advance, Targeted Boost, Actual Boost, MAP, MAF, A/F, RPM, Throttle, Vehicle Speed, AIT) and logging. You can set the AP to datalog with one button press-- the data is then dumped into a CSV file right on the handheld. The handheld then syncs with your PC to move the log files off while adding or deleting new maps.

My car hasn't tripped any trouble codes with the tune, but if I did something to trigger a code, the AccessPort can read and clear codes on the fly. This is really a great product that replaces multiple solutions in one compact handheld device. The "stealth" use of this is the best part about it-- I can switch maps in a matter of minutes, return it to stock and nobody could ever tell the car was tuned.

As development progresses, Cobb will start releasing more aggressive and mod-specific maps. You can expect to see race gas maps and "stage 2/3" files that are intended for use with catless DPs and larger intercoolers without any trouble codes.
Appreciate 0