View Single Post
      08-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #14
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Agreeing on the price of an '07 above invoice and agreeing to give the dealer the same amount of profit on an '08 is the way to do it. Don't start from MSRP and work down, start from invoice and work up. Agree on how much over invoice you're paying, this defines the dealer profit, then when the new invoice pricing comes out, simply add the increase based on those invoices.

That is the way to do it.

For those that negotiate down from MSRP and get a dealer to agree on your price irrespective of increase --- you are likely paying more than you need to. For a dealer to agree to such a price without knowing the invoice increase to '08 --- this tells me that the dealer has a nice cushion in there, and doesn't really care too much whether the increase in '08 pricing is <x> or <y>, because he has made a great deal (for him) regardless of the increase.

There are other factors in purchasing a car (does price matter to you?) that I haven't really mentioned here, my advice above certainly isn't the 'only' way to purchase a car. However, for getting the best price and showing the dealer you know what you're talking about, negotiating up from invoice is absolutely the best way to go. There is nothing 'sketchy' and agreeing to an '07 price, and agreeing to add the price increase even though we don't know what it is yet. It's smart.
Appreciate 0