View Single Post
      04-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
BeakerBoy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnp2n
Hi. I saw your post on replacing the LCD on the CD73 HU and was wondering if you could answer a question. The last item you mentioned was running the test patterns. Regarding that, I just received a refurbished Alpine unit and am getting ready to replace the HU I already have. Will it be plug-and-play, or will it require anything more than running the tests? Are the tests even required? Thanks!
I'm sorry if there's a thread that covers this, but couldn't find it anywhere.
The reason I replaced my LCD display was that some of the pixels began to fade when the car interior was hot - a very common problem.

The test patterns are a series of checker boards and bands of varying intensity. The only reason for mentioning the test patterns was to confirm that every pixel worked correctly. I came across this test on another forum and thought it was useful.

If you are replacing the HU, it will be plug and play if it is exactly the same model, otherwise it might need coding. I believe there is also a version of the HU which includes optical output and one that accepts a microphone for voice control, but mine is just the basic CD73.
Appreciate 0