View Single Post
      10-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #82
xlr88r
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 & E91 330i M Sport

Snag list item #1.

When I first test drove the car I was keen to give the Logic7 stereo a decent workout, as, from reading around, they're apparently a decent setup.

Not so with this. There was a distinct lack of anything happening in the low hundreds of hertz, irrespective of how much I played with the bass and treble and EQ as well. This just had to be sorted. After unbolting the front seats and sliding them back, I found a very crispy, rusty, and at some point soggy looking passenger sub. The driver's wasn't much better, pointing at some level of historic water ingress. I took the subs out and hooked them up to an old Technics amp in the spare room. Nothing, dead as a Dodo.

Time to find out where the water was getting in. I trapped some kitchen paper into the bottom of the door jamb and set the hose on it, starting at the bottom of the door, then checking the paper for wet, before moving up. When I was at the window trim line, there was a slow but definite trickle coming in from behind the door card. Vapour barrier it is!

Ordered a few metres of butyl tape and set to work. It's messy stuff, but has done the job. After sorting that, the known-to-be-working L7 subs from my old E90 made their way in.

Turns the volume right the way down...

Flattens the bass, treble, and EQ...

Centers the fader and balance...

Turns the volume up...

Whoa! That's better. For a factory fit stereo inside the second 'smallest' car from the BMW range at the time, this is pretty a awesome setup and works well inside the spacious Touring cabin. Phew! Glad it wasn't suffering amp or other issues elsewhere.

Please enjoy these pics of a drip from the vapour barrier and a poorly looking sub...

Last edited by xlr88r; 10-26-2021 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0