View Single Post
      07-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #509
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

After several hours, I have finally read through this entire thread.

First my experience: I have taken my 335 w/step on the track several times. The car was okay for the first couple of HPDE days, but as I got faster over the next couple of days, there were some significant limp mode symptoms occuring. I never got any dash lights, just a reduction in power.

I don't even have an oil cooler on my car, so I was impressed that it handled the heat developed at the track as much as it did. However, our ambient temps were never above 20-25C (about 70-77F). There are some benefits to living in Canada!

I gather from this thread that one of the achilles heel's of this car is poor heat management - specifically water and oil cooling. I don't have an oil cooler now and it seems the only aftermarket retrofit kit is AR Designs. However, most people in this thread are not having any success with this cooler. Should I spend the money for this kit, or should I try to manage the heat through improving heat transfer through the radiator (ie. 30/70 mix with water wetter)? Is there another retrofit kit available that I don't know about?
Appreciate 0