Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well, I have a few comments. Very good info regarding the packages and availability. Kudos.

I'm not sure what the difference is between "reliable" and "dependable", you probably need to explain that.

I disagree with your comment regarding salvage title cars. With an older E9X car with adaptive xenons, replacement of just one of the head lights at over $1,000 a pop will total the car. I just hit a deer in my '06 325i. It was totaled by the insurance company. I bought it back and it just is finishing up in the shop today. Have a small front-end collision that bends the hood and breaks the plastic core support and takes out a light or two, and an older 3 series (say the coveted 330i) will get totaled, but is a perfectly fine car if rebuilt. In my state the re-title process for a rebuilt is pretty extensive and costs $125 for a state inspection and review of the rebuild work.

The E9X takes very little maintenance and tells the owner when to change the oil and service the spark plugs, I'm not sure why anyone would not keep up with the maintenance, since it's even less than most Japanese cars require. The service book that comes with the manual set says to change the automatic trans fluid at 100,000 mile intervals. If the car has been dealer maintained, I'd not worry about the maintenance aspect. The internet "lifetime" crap is a myth. I'm sure your one that believes the BMW CBS service plan is a ruse by BMW set to lower its cost of providing the "free maintenance", and that the extended oil service interval is detrimental to long-term ownership. I have proof it's perfectly adequate in maintaining an E9X into high mileages. So if your advice about maintenance abuse is to not buy a E9X that didn't see 5,000 - 7,500 mile oil changes, then I'd disagree with you. Clarification would help.

My 2 cents.
A reliable car is a car that you do nothing to and it continues to function. A dependable car is a car that you properly maintain and it continues to function.

I have nothing against salvage cars when you know what your doing and your state is relaxed about them. Buying back your own salvage car is way different then going to the auction and buying one. When you buy back your own car you know exactly what damage the car has. Going to the auction or on CL you don't know all the damage that may be hiding.

Oil drain intervals vary vastly depending on what type of oil is use and how you drive. When I want to see if the oil was changed at the correct interval I pop open the oil filler cap and look at the head.
Appreciate 0