11-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
Rob G
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
The OEM hi-fi midbasses are actually pretty good when they are limited to only the midbass frequencies. The addition of more power from an aftermarket amp will make them a little better. Its when they try to play lower into the sub-bass frequencies that they start to suck. If you're going to install a true subwoofer in the trunk, trying to get the most out of the OEM midbasses is actually a decent way of doing it if you're trying to stay within a budget.

No argument, really. In my case the underseat woofer blew on driver's side. My search for a replacement led me to this site, and now the bug has bit.
I listen to a fair amount of acoustic/classical/jazz music, and the 30 HZ notes are not as important as those between 40 and 200. My instinct is to get the midrange right before I add the last octave with VP's stealth in the trunk. I am currently trying to get Jehnret 8 inchers for under the seat. The leading alternative is the Morel ADMW. In either case I think I would have a midbass foundation on which to build. I have the BSW kit, and if that doesn't work out I can go for other alternatives. 6spdcoupe has had some good things to say about the Jehnrets.
Appreciate 0